1. In 2015 our personal training team suggest you dump all those fad diets and aim to eat more healthy plant based foods and less refined carbohydrates and processed food. Always try to have an easily sustained nutrition plan, something that you can manage for many years and not just for a couple of weeks.
2.Our personal trainers have done a survey and it seems majority of our clients tend to warm and stretch at the start of the training session but forget to cool down. It is important that in the end of every training session you allocated at least 10 minutes to a cool down, which will help promote the recovery process as well as reducing subsequent aches and pains after the workout.
3. Sleep is an important part of any overall healthy lifestyle and it is crucial to get at least between 6-8 hours of sleep every night. Lack of sleep will not only affect your ability to push yourself during your personal training sessions but can also impact your mental performance, increase levels of stress and accelerate aging.
4. Warm up prior to your workout is important but it is even more critical to warm up for the particular workout. Make sure to stretch and warm up every muscle group you are likely to use in your training session.
5. When selecting your new training partner aim to train with someone who is just a bit stronger and fitter than you. Consequently you will be pushed just a little harder in every training session.
6. Recent studies have confirmed that running can help to prevent a decline in fitness as you age much more so than just walking. So next time you go for a walk why not incorporate just little bit of jogging, preferably on a grassy soft surface.
7. Sitting down for prolonged periods of time can be detrimental to your posture, muscle recovery and overall well being. Some health professionals now consider sitting for a prolonged period of time as the new health epidemic. In your office try move around as much as you can, have meetings standing, perhaps use a stand-up desk, anything you can do to avoid prolonged sitting will result in long term health benefits.
8. Our days seem to be getting busier every week and we need to be efficient with our workouts. Our personal trainers suggest that the best way to achieve this is via functional movement exercises that can target multiple muscle groups and core stability.
9. If your main training goal is general fitness your diet should reflect that goal. Thus choose foods that are high in fiber, wholegrain and protein rich. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
10. Training should always be challenging and fun and while you will not feel like training every day of the week, consistency is the key. Thus ascertain what can work for you, it might be a pump class at the gym or a session with a personal trainer but try to find your own individual approach that will help you achieve your health and fitness goals. Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to try different things but also use your own common sense approach to choose the right training for your current ability and goals. If you haven’t been to the gym for over 10 years don’t start by joining a high intensity Crossfit group class.